Sixteen months on the road is a long time. During that time I covered quite a distance and did many things. While I’ve been ‘resting’ in the United Kingdom, I’ve put together a step by step rundown of my trip including maps.
South East Australia
In a van called the Pointy Brick I…
- drove 3 days from Brisbane, stopping for the night in Coonabarabran and Hay on the way to Adelaide.
- hiked the 3-day Yurrebilla Trail through the Adelaide Hills.
- ferried to Kangaroo Island for 3 nights.
- drove to Naracoorte for Adventure Caving.
- drove to The Grampians for three hikes: Major Mitchell Plateau, The Pinnacle and Mt Gar – Briggs Bluff Traverse.
- drove to Bacchus Marsh to hike the 3-day Burchell Trail in the Brisbane Ranges National Park.
- drove to Melbourne where I visited the tip of Mornington Peninsula and the Organ Pipes National Park.
- ferried to Devonport, Tasmania.
- drove around the east coast to Freycinet National Park where I climbed Mt Amos.
- drove to Hobart and climbed Mt Wellington.
- drove to Straham on the west coast and walked to Montezuma Falls.
- drove to Mole Creek for Adventure Caving.
- drove to Cradle Mountain and walked The Overland Track in 7 days.
- ferried back to Melbourne for New Years.
- drove to Foster so I could hike around Wilsons Promontory for 3 days.
- drove to Snowy River National Park for the Bachan Caves Tour.
- drove to Mount Beauty township and hiked the 3-day Mt Bogong–Big River circuit.
- drove to Tumut and hiked the 2-day Bogong Wilderness trail.
- drove to Canberra for 2 days.
- drove to Jindabyne for a week-long convention.
- returned to Canberra for a 4-day convention.
- drove up to Sydney for 2 nights with family.
- finally drove for 3 days, stopping for the night in Port Macquarrie and Coffs Harbour on the way back to Brisbane.
Antarctica, Chile and Argentina
From Brisbane, I flew to Auckland and spent 3 weeks with family before flying to South America where I…
- got culture shock from my three days in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- flew to Ushuaia, Argentina, stayed for 9 days and climbed to Martial Glacier, hiked through Paso de la Oveja on an overnight trek and up to Lago Esmarelda.
- cruised to Antarctica for 12 days: Across the Drake Passage, Along the White Peninsula, Into the Antarctic Circle and Back to Civilisation.
- bused to Punta Arenas, Chile.
- bused to Puerto Natales, Chile.
- hiked around Torres del Paine NP for 9 days.
- bused to El Calafate, Argentina.
- bused on to El Chaltén, Argentina.
- trekked the 3-day Mt Fitz Roy Triangle.
- bused back to Puerto Natales with a stop for the night in El Calafate.
- ferried for 4 days through the Fiords on the Navimag Ferry.
- arrived at Puerto Montt, Chile.
- bused to Osorno, Chile, and stayed for 3 nights.
- tried to hike up Volcán Puyehue but the police had shut Puyehue National Park for a search and rescue.
- bused to Pucón, Chile, for 2 rainy weeks before finally climbing Volcán Villarrica.
- bused to Bariloche, Argentina, for a 2 week spanish course.
- climbed both Cerro Lopez and Cerro Catedral while I was there.
- bused to El Bolsón, Argentina.
- bused 19 hours to Mendoza, Argentina, for a week of adventures and lots of red wine.
- bused to Córdoba, Argentina, and walked in Quebrada del Condorito National Park.
- returned to Buenos Aires (Take 2) to hang out for 10 days with a group of locals.
- popped over to Colonia, Uruguay, on a ferry for the day.
Brazil, Bolivia, Peru and Ecuador
From Buenos Aires I…
- bused to Puerto Iguazú and visited both sides of Iguazú Falls.
- bused for 24 hours across Brazil to Rio de Janeiro for ten days of adventures.
- bused back across Brazil for 24 hours to Campo Grande for a couple of days in Brazil’s Pantanal.
- crossed into Bolivia and bused to Santa Cruz.
- bused overnight to La Paz, where I stayed for 10 days.
- rode on a bicycle down Death Road and then hiked the El Choro trek.
- bused south to Uyuni for a 3-day Salt Flats and High Plains tour.
- bused back to La Paz then north to Copacabana on Lake Titicaca and Isla del Sol.
- bused into Peru to Cusco.
- trained to Aguas Calientes and climbed to Machu Picchu.
- bused to Arequipa.
- hiked through Colca Canyon.
- bused to Ica and Huacachina Oasis and sand boarded down massive sand dunes.
- bused to Lima for a few days.
- bused to Huaraz for the 4-day Santa Cruz trek.
- returned to see a different side of Lima (Take 2).
- bused north to Mancora for 4 days at the beach.
- crossed into Ecuador to the capital, Quito.
- flew to the Galapagos Islands for adventures and then a 4-day Galapagos Islands cruise.
- returned to Quito and bused north for 2 days of fun in the rainforest around Mindo.
- bused south to Riobamba for the 3-day El Altar hike.
- bused further south to Cuenca for more adventures.
- bused back to Quito.
Colombia, Central America and Mexico
From Ecuador I…
- crossed into Colombia for 3 days in Cali.
- bused to the capital Bogotá for over 2 weeks with a great group of local people.
- bused to Medellin and stayed for a week.
- bused north for 3 days of crazy heat in Cartegena.
- bused around the coast to the beach town of Taganga.
- trekked through the jungle on the 4-day hike to Ciudad Perdida – The Lost City.
- bused back to Cartegena for 3 days.
- cruised through the San Blas Islands to Panama.
- spent Christmas and New Years in Panama City.
- bused west for 3 days to the beach town of Bocas del Toro.
- bused south to spend several days in the mountain town of Boquete.
- climbed Volcán Barú starting at midnight.
- crossed into Costa Rica for adventures out of San Jose and Liberia.
- crossed into Nicaragua to the beach town of San Juan del Sur.
- ferried to the twin volcano island of Isla de Ometepe.
- climbed Volcán Concepción.
- taxied to Granada.
- bused to Leon and went volcano boarding.
- bused through Honduras and El Salvador to the Guatemalan city of Antigua.
- taxied to San Pedro La Laguna for adventures around Lago Atitlán.
- bused to Flores and visited Tikal.
- crossed into Belize and ferried to the island of Caye Caulker.
- ferried into Mexico and bused to Palenque and visited the ruins of Yaxchilán.
- bused to the city of Merida and visited the ruins of Uxmal.
- bused to Valladolid and the ruins of Chichén Itzá.
- bused to Tulum for the final ruins.
- bused to Cancun for my final days.
The Full Map. May take some time to load.
The World Wanderer